Sale, clearance, clearance. If you sell products that are trend or time sensitive, you can hardly avoid it. You can also calculate it, assume that there will be a sale and you can also simply lose your store daughters. A sale is actually 'official' twice a year, but nowadays it always seems like a sale (I really don't recommend that).
And then we have promotions such as Black Friday, Blue Monday, the birthday of your webshop, etc., but it can also be a weekly promotion, day promotion or a super deal. This often involves giving a temporary discount.
What types of discounts are there?
Here is a list of various types of discount you can give:
- product discount
- introductory discount (new customer discount)
- combination discount
- 2nd half of the price
- 3 get 2 pay
- volume discount
- group discount
- introductory discount
- seasonal discount
- payment discount
- own unique discount promotions, such as ' AH hoarding ', 'the 3 crazy silly Bijenkorf days' etc.
💡 NOTE : it is preferable to always exchange your discount for an e-mail address, for example! A good discount is therefore an excellent lead magnet. Want to learn more about great lead magnets? Then check out the Email Marketing magic course .
🚨 BEWARE : always giving a discount often doesn't make much sense, customers will really wait for those discount promotions. But I understand better than anyone that you sometimes have to give your sales a push in a slack month.
The alternatives to giving a discount
There are alternatives to giving a discount for this, such as:
- savings program, also called loyalty program or regular customer discount
- Free wrapping as a Sinterklaas, Christmas, Mother's Day or Father's Day gift, or…
- free shipping
- pick-up option
- give away shop credit / shopping money with a high order
- only give real VIPs a discount
- give a gift with an order
- think of extra service such as after emailing with tips
- giveaway, 'every tenth order of product x is free'
Long story short
Nice, isn't it, that there are so many options and so many alternatives for giving a discount! We often deal with these kinds of interesting topics in the one and only Content coach program . Useful!