Sale, Clearance, Sale. If you sell products that are trend or time sensitive, it is almost impossible to get out of it. You can also calculate it, assume that there will be a sale and you can also just get rid of your excess stock. A sale is actually 'official' twice a year, but nowadays it always seems like a sale (I really advise against that).
And then we have promotions such as Black Friday, Blue Monday, the birthday of your webshop, etc., but it can also be a week promotion, day promotion or a super deal. This often involves giving a temporary discount. This article is about giving a discount and the alternatives. Because there are plenty of them too!
What types of discounts are there?
Here is a list of the various types of discount you can give:
- introduction discount (new customer discount)
- combination discount
- 2nd half price
- Get 3 pay 2
- graduated discount
- group discount
- seasonal discount
- payment discount
- own unique discount promotions, such as 'AH hoarding', 'the 3 crazy crazy Bijenkorf days', etc.
💡 NOTE : preferably always exchange your discount for an email address, for example! A good discount is therefore a great lead magnet. Want to learn more about great lead magnets? Then check out the Email Marketing Magic Course .
🚨 BEWARE : always giving a discount often doesn't make much sense, customers will really wait for those discount promotions. But I understand better than anyone that you sometimes have to give your sales a push in a weak month.
The alternatives to giving a discount
There are alternatives for giving a discount, such as:
- savings program, also known as loyalty program or regular customer discount
- free wrapping as a Sinterklaas, Christmas, Mother's Day or Father's Day gift, or…
- free shipping
- pick-up option
- give away shopping credit/shopping money with a high order
- only give real VIP's a discount
- gift with an order
- come up with extra service such as after emailing with tips
- giveaway, 'every tenth order of product x is free'
Long story short
It's nice, isn't it, that there are so many options and so many alternatives for giving a discount! We often discuss these kinds of interesting topics during the SYSO VIP masterclasses. Useful!